Thursday, September 2, 2010

N Block

N block, also call the research building or estate office, is the nest of most PhD students in UNMC. There are labs downstairs and offices upstairs, and it's open 24 hours, what a temptation for researchers to work more. Looking at the setup of machines, I can feel the madness of scientists around.

N block in Nottingham:

In a very corner of this building, is a room that I'm suppose to spend my life (I mean research period). My lab is here, and I'm suppose to workout the experiment setups. My senior done most of it, thanks a lot! But I have totally no idea what are these.

My lab will be here:

It was in a horizontal manner, I spend a few hours to make it in a vertical way (since I have nothing to do). Oh great, I'm feeling that I'm deviating from my major, I'm fixing circuits and wires! Thanks to the lessons I had during diploma, I'm not circuit blind.

Electrical stuffs, wire madness:

Seems like solenoid and electromagnet is the main stuffs in my research (I don't know... it's just my 2nd day). Oh well, after fixing the the setup, I could only just play with it for countless times (having no idea what to do next). I bet working life would be similar too.

The combine effects of permanent and electromagnet on a conductor:



The next day, my supervisor told me and my senior to move the stuffs from the old lab to this lab. Now I understand the "wide responsibility" covered by PhD students, we really need to do a lot of things other than research. Spend whole day sorting out the new stuffs in lab, and gonna continue soon.

Some new equipments flooding my lab:


"When you set up the seven lamps, they are to light the area in front of the lampstand."
-Numbers 8:2
-

Lord, guide me through these times of uncertainty, make my path clear. I pray that the will in me would not be weaken by any earthly means and continue to be a better testimony of Your works. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments: