Sunday, February 22, 2009

Group Project: Can Opener

Another design project has started. This time, it's a whole new grouping of 8 people and we will need to design a can opener. What can a can opener do? Other than opening can, it's opening my head now (cracking my brain)!


If it's a normal can opener that we're gonna do, it won't bring me so many troubles. The criteria is, we have to design a one-handed can opener (where the name implies, the can opener should be able to operate by using only one hand), and it must be something new.

Well, it's possible for us to apply motor and electrical components in our design, but it would be cool if we can come out with a total mechanical one-handed can opener. The worst case is, we have to make it as a business plan and present it 3 weeks later.

So many types of can opener:

It was raining heavily this afternoon. I was taking a break watching anime after coming back from church, before my dreadful day doing my lab report and sketching the can opener concept starts.


Well, this is a brilliant concept that my groupmate Jun Wong thought of, by triggering the 2 buttons beside the can opener, it turns the gears inside. The gear-screw mechanism convert rotational motion to translational motion.


The blade will recieve the motion and pierce into the can wall, while a gear will be holding the can wall at another side. A locking mechanism should be added to ensure the blade is still piercing the can wall while the buttons are released. So that this baby can be operated by one hand only.


Then, the twister is turned to rotate the gear, which also rotates the can wall around for the blade to cut. It's still an initial sketch, so it still needs a lot of modification. I wish this concept works...


I spent my night drawing this sketch ... hopefully it's useful for tomorrow's group meeting (I know my drawing is bad).




Today, I'm reading Jeremiah 12 and in verse 15, "But afterward I will return and have compassion on all of them. I will bring them home to their own lands again, each nation to its own inheritance." Thank you Lord for taking me back on track when I'm falling to the wrong path, thanks for Your unfailing forgiveness. Pray that Jason will has a good start in Monash Uni, the first few weeks will be tough but please be with him. Also pray that our bible study group will be growing in the good direction. Please bless us with wisdom and passion to reach out. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Heiley said...

thank you your picture helped me